Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Banana Nut Protein Loaf

This is a fun little recipe I made before heading out to the gym yesterday. I realize that there are going to be days when I just don't have time to make a delicious mouth watering protein pancake, so I have been experimenting with different recipes that will allow me to make a batch of protein snacks for on the go. These babies will last me about 4-5 days. I have them pre-packed in baggies in my fridge, so I can just grab one and head out the door!


Banana Nut Protein Loaf - Serving is 1 slice:

  • 3 scoops protein powder - I am currently using Naturade Non-Soy Veggie protein powder plain (vanilla or chocolate would be delicious too)
  • 1 cup whole old fashioned oats
  • 1 cup egg white
  • 1 banana
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
  • 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 tbsp of cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp of pumpkin spice
  • 2 tbsp ground flax seed
  • 1 tbsp vanilla extract 
  • Sweetener of choice - I used 1/2 tsp liquid stevia
  • 1 tsp baking soda
Nutritional info for 1 slice:
Fat: 4.5g
Calories: 140g
Carb: 12g
Protein: 12.5g
Sugar: 2g  

*The nutritional breakdown is an estimate based on the specific ingredients that I use in my recipes. The breakdown for your recipe may vary slightly depending on the ingredients that are used.

Preheat oven to 350°F.  Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl together.  Smash banana in a separate bowl and mix with remaining wet ingredients, and then mix the two bowls together. Prepare a 9x5 loaf pan with non-stick spray if needed and pour in batter. Sprinkle the top of the loaf with a very small amount of oats, walnuts, and cinnamon. Cook for 30-35 minutes. Let it cool enough to separate the loaf from the pan with a spatula and then place on a cooling rack. Once they have all finished cooling completely, cut into 8 thick slices, place in snack baggies and refrigerate The nutritional breakdown is for 1 slice, but depending on your goals you might need to eat 2. Bon Appétit!


3 comments:

  1. looks so so good!!! i love the idea of making this and storing it in the freezer already precut to grab and go!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, i'm new to your blog, but just read your story and it's so inspiring! and i like this recipe a lot!! looks tasty =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Naomi Thank you! They are super portable, I was eating them at Starbucks yesterday with my tea, you would have thought they came from behind the counter, not out of my purse ;)

    @Cinnamonbums Thanks for stopping by and welcome! Let me know how they come out if you make them!

    ReplyDelete